Simply Riquisimo Spinach
As a child, I associated the word spinach with Popeye the Sailor, the fictional cartoon character that I loved, and the canned stuff which I disliked intensely.
There is nothing like fresh spinach and whether in salads or sautéed, with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice, it is simply delicious.
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 pounds fresh young spinach, thoroughly rinsed, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, cut in slivers
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Wash the spinach and dry it.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil at medium low and add the garlic slivers. Gently cook until they turn golden, stirring occasionally, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spinach (in batches if necessary) and stir constantly as it wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase heat to medium and cook uncovered, turning constantly until greens are wilted and tender and most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the red pepper flakes. Transfer spinach to a serving plate.
- Drizzle the juice of ½ a lemon and garnish with the lemon zest.