Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 liter water
- 8 ounces fresh medium shrimp, deveined
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ Spanish onion
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 4 ripe Hass avocados
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seedless and deveined, diced
- ½ serrano pepper, seedless and deveined, diced (adjust to taste)
- Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ ripe tomato, seedless and pulpless, diced
- Pour water into a medium-sized pan. Add bay leaf, Spanish onion and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Boil 8–10 minutes. Add shrimp, lower heat to minimum setting and heat for 1 minute or until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove shrimp and blanch in cold water. Drain, slice in half and set aside.
- Slice avocado in half, remove the seed, peel and cut avocado in squares. Place in a glass mold.
- Add the red onion, garlic, jalapeño and Serrano peppers, shrimp, diced tomato, lemon juice and salt to taste, and mix carefully. Serve immediately.