Sautéed Spicy Chicken Breasts with Fresh Mango Salsa
Yields 4 servings
4 boneless chicken breasts, lightly pounded
4 ounces smoked bacon
1 garlic clove, minced
8 ounces baby spinach, washed and rinsed
4 ounces soft goat cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 fresh mangoes, finely chopped
1 red pepper, small dice
½ medium red onion, small dice
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Mix all ingredients for the mango salsa in a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place bacon in skillet and fry at medium heat until crisp. Place on paper towels and proceed to chop in small bits. Set aside.
- Remove all but one tablespoon of fat from the skillet and sauté the garlic and spinach. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach mix with the goat cheese and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add bacon.
- Into the thickest part of each chicken breast cut a 3-inch pocket. Stuff with the spinach-cheese mixture. Close with a toothpick.
- Mix the cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Season each breast with the mixture. You may cover and refrigerate for one hour or up to a day ahead.
- Heat a large oven proof skillet at medium high, add canola oil and once it is hot, place the chicken breasts and sauté 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Turnover and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 10-12 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165ºF. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to serve.