Roasted Cream of Poblano Soup
Watch Denisse on Fox’s “Good Day Cafe” on November 26, 2012
Make it yourself!
Yields 5-6 servings
- 5 roasted poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 small garlic cloves
- ½ cup thin leek rounds- washed, white part only
- ½ cup scallion rounds
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, leaves only
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, packed
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- ½ cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the poblanos on an open flame. Once completely dark, place in a paper bag for a few minutes, until the steam “lifts “ the skin. Peel, remove seeds and veins.
- Heat a medium size pot, at medium-low flame, add oil and butter and once butter melts, add onion and let cook 3-4 minutes until translucent . Add garlic, leeks and scallions and let cook at medium low until they soften. Add cilantro and broth. Stir and add diced potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 8-10 minutes at medium heat, covered, until cooked thoroughly.
- Add poblano chiles. Let cool, add cream. Stir. Once cool enough, puree in blender.
- Serve with homemade toast rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.